Two Luxembourgers are dead in Syria

image10790433_d8a363c473238f3d8cc47bdc5a5e1426

Two residents of Luxembourg who joined an armed group killed in Syria, said on Saturday Jean Asselborn, Minister of Foreign Affairs, to RTL. One of them was of North African origin and another of Kosovo. As confirmed by the Minister, the two young men had been linked to Islamist circles, including in Luxembourg.

One of them went to Syria in April 2013 while the second has arrived there most recently in January. The minister said the two men were in contact with a near — Al-Qaida group.

Jean Asselborn also added that other Luxembourg citizens were recruited by armed Islamist groups and went to Syria for fighting or planning to go. The police would be mobilized to dissuade candidates.

The reasons for that is «a very effective propaganda (for recruiters), especially on the internet» and moreover «networks to get there are very well organized throughout Europe but obviously also in Luxembourg», noted the Minister.

Source : «le Quotidien» of May 5th, 2014