Transit visa is required if the period of stay in Russia in transit to another country exceeds 24 hours or a traveller needs to change the airport or terminals.
In case of air travel, transit visa is issued for the period not exceeding 3 days. In case of travel by road or rail, transit visa is issued for the period needed for the transit by the shortest route (in any case, not exceeding 10 days). Transit visas can be single or double-entry. A double-entry transit visa is valid for a period not exceeding 30 days.
Transit visa is not required in the following cases:
- overflight of the Russian territory without landing;
- air travel by an international carrier with a transfer at the same airport (in case there is a transit area) with a valid visa for the destination country and an air ticket with confirmed outbound connecting flight within 24 hours from the arrival time.
For a Transit Visa, the applicant must submit the following documents:
1. Valid tickets for the whole itinerary or prepaid ticket advance in case those are to be collected at the Russian territory, visa for the departing country and the entry country after leaving the Russian territory (in case of travel by road or rail) and visa for the destination country.
2. Valid national passport (original only, with two free visa pages). It must be valid no less than six months after the visa expiration date;
3. Visa application filled in online, printed and signed by the Applicant with a photo affixed to it;
4. One colour photo (35 x 45 mm, clear front view picture against white background, without eyeglasses affixed to the visa application;
5. Medical insurance certificate valid in Russia and covering the period of the first trip to Russia.
The certificate should carry:
- name and the family name of the insured person;
- contract number;
- travel dates;
- explicit mention of travel to the Russian Federation;
- coverage of illness, accidents and repatriation (at least 30.000 USD);
Processing delay: 4-10 business days, express – 1-3 business days.
Visa fee is paid by bank card on the day of application at the Consular Section.
No appointment needed.